CAIRO (AFP) ? Egypt's Prime Minister Essam Sharaf, who was hospitalised overnight for exhaustion, will spend the day resting and then finalise a new cabinet, the government said on Tuesday.
The new ministers were meant to be sworn in on Monday, but the ceremony was postponed for a day amid protests over the embattled premier's choice of ministers.
Then Sharaf, 59, was briefly admitted to hospital on Monday night suffering from exhaustion.
Sharaf "is resting today on the advice of doctors after medical examinations following his illness last night, which was the result of hard work," a cabinet statement said.
Sharaf was "in stable condition and he will resume consultations to finalise the new ministerial changes after that," the statement said, denying "rumours on some websites about Prime Minister Essam Sharaf's resignation."
The cabinet had said earlier on its Facebook page that the premier would resume discussions later in the day to finalise the sweeping shake-up, after resting in the morning.
But by the afternoon, Sharaf had yet to arrive to his headquarters, and waiting cameramen were asked to leave, state television reported.
Sharaf, who heads a caretaker government after a popular revolt toppled strongman Hosni Mubarak in February, had hoped the sweeping reshuffle would persuade protesters to end a sit-in at Cairo's Tahrir Square.
Fourteen new ministers and a deputy premier had been expected to take the oath of office before Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, who heads the ruling military council.
But the protesters complained that the new cabinet retains ministers they wanted sacked, including Justice Minister Abdel Aziz al-Gindi, whom they accuse of delaying trials of former regime officials, including Mubarak.
A protest leader told AFP that on Monday night activists handed a list to Sharaf of ministers they wanted replaced. Chief among them were Gindi, Interior Minister Mansur Essawy and three ministers who had served under Mubarak.
There were consultations among protest leaders whether to end the sit-in, now in its 12th day, as divisions emerged over the new cabinet.
The liberal Wafd party was reported to have withdrawn from the protest after Sharaf appointed one of its senior members, Ali al-Silmi, as his deputy.
The Muslim Brotherhood, the influential Islamist movement that joined a mass demonstration on July 8 that led to the sit-in, said there was no point to prolonging the protest and that the new cabinet should be given a chance.
"We wanted a temporary government of technocrats, and things are headed that way," said Essam al-Erian, a Brotherhood leader who doubles as vice president of the movement's Freedom and Justice Party.
The protesters also risk the enmity of Egyptians who accuse them of destabilising the country, which has seen a sharp decline in tourism and a rise in unemployment since the revolt that toppled Mubarak on February 11.
Hardline Islamist groups have called for a mass demonstration for "stability" on Friday.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.